BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Hairy Truth


Running appears to be fairly inexpensive.  It is free, after all, to just go out and hit the streets. One does not have to pay league dues nor kick down cash for a fancy team uniform.  However, this fine sport is a sneaky little stinker, in that one could possibly drop hundreds of dollars getting the supportive gear.  On that, take sports bras for example.  I once stupidly wore a cheaper sports bra for a 13 mile run in the heat.  To my chagrin, I ended up with a little something I like to call Frankenstein Boob.  The seams of the cheap bra seriously rubbed me raw.  It looked like I had gone down to TJ to get a boob job and it had gone horribly wrong. Anyhow, lesson learned.  I don't want to scare you off in these budget minded times, but it is a good idea to purchase certain items that are made for making your running experience as pleasant as possible. Here are some investments that you won't be sorry you made:


ABSOLUTES:

1) Sports Bra that keeps them locked down solidly (I wear two)  
2) Running Shoes (that are made for your type of gait)
3) High SPF Sport Sunblock (that won't sweat off of you) 
4) Water 

EXCELLENT TO HAVES:

5) Hat or Visor (They sell some that are made out of sweat wicking fabric or SWF or its called "technical fabric.")
6) Running Socks (SWF, they really help with blisters.  These can get expensive.  But I found some at Walmart that have been working well for me.  They are Danskin running socks.)
7) Running Pants or Shorts and Tops with SWF  (I don't always go for these.  Often, I just wear regular cotton, although it is most likely going to be hot at the R & R Half.  These fabrics are made to help your body from overheating aka being less miserable.  Marshalls has a pretty large selection for way cheaper than places like Sports Chalet or Dicks.)
8) Pepper Spray
9) Energy GUs or Beans (They help restore your depleted energy, mid long runs)
10) Magic Underpants

LUXURIES:
11) Garmin GPS Forerunner (It keeps track of distance, time, calories, etc) 
12) IPod or MP3 player
13) Running Earbuds
14) Subscription to Runner's World Magazine

These are the things that I have gradually purchased and use on a regular basis.  You will figure out what you need, as you go.  You might have different needs.  Obviously, the guy in the picture has a different list of running necessities.  Possibly, body lubricant.  I'm just sayin'.

SIDENOTE:  Remy Runner's Rule #1.45
BE CAREFUL WHERE AND WHOM YOU ASK FOR LUBE

0 comments: